That special song


That special song

Everybody’s got at least one. A song that has an emotional connection.
Plenty of fancy people, psychologists mostly, have studied the feelings that are elicited by certain songs.
The Two Girls aren’t so interested in why or how it happens.
Let’s just agree that sometimes a song comes on the radio or you search out an old CD because you want to reminisce and you’re reminded of…well, stuff.
We are interested in which songs and how come?
This week’s blog post is dedicated to the songs you fell in love to, and the songs you fell out of love to. Here are a few from One of the Two Girls.

Fallin’ In love xxxx

Now we're getting somewhere, Crowded House
“Well lay me out with your heart
Now we're gettin' somewhere
Push me back to the start
Now we're gettin' someplace
Take me out let me breathe
Now we're gettin' somewhere
When I'm with you I don't care
Where it is I'm falling”
It was Neil Finn on the first and self-titled album, Crowded House, in 1986. It was Townsville two years later, it was the tropics and we played it over and over. ‘When you took me to your room I swear I said surrender.’ Yeah and we did.

Linger, The Cranberries
This is more of a falling out of love song, but it wasn’t on this occasion.
“But I'm in so deep. You know I'm such a fool for you. You got me wrapped around your finger, ah, ha, ha.”
It was the 90s, it was that voice, it was the women’s community (we were all singing it), it was the album, Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? released in 1993. It was lovely. 

Bloodbuzz Ohio, The National
“Stand up straight at the foot of your love
I lift my shirt up
Stand up straight at the foot of your love
I lift my shirt up”
Bloodbuzz Ohio is from High Violet, 2010 and Bloodbuzz Ohio was also covered by Julia Stone on By the Horns, 2012.
This song has two lives in the same one love: the boy, and the girl versions. Seems appropriate. 
What this Girl likes to listen to when feeling most smoochy.

Breaking up is hard to do
Landslide, Fleetwood Mac
“Well, I've been afraid of changing
'Cause I've built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Children get older
I'm getting older too”
It’s from all the way back in 1975 on the self-titled album, Fleetwood Mac, but written and performed by the legendary Stevie Nicks when deciding to leave Lindsey Buckingham. 
The end of an era.

Love is everything, Jane Siberry
“Love was everything they said it would be
Love made sweet and sad the same
But love forgot to make me too blind to see
You're chickening out aren't you?
You're bangin' on the beach like an old tin drum
I can't wait for you to make
The whole kingdom come
So I'm leaving”
Siberry’s most famous album, When I was a boy, released in 1993: remembering lying on the lounge room floor listening to her and lamenting a lost love....but not for very long.

Come on! What's your favourite in, or out of, love song!